Saturday, February 23, 2013

Two cherished little gifts


This is a picture from 1957, cropped from the group photo and they had been married for 16 years then, at the very house this post is being made!  That is my elder paternal aunt and her husband.  They lived in Bangalore as he was employed in the Police dept. there.  He also had the rare honour of getting an award from the Governor of the state for his great services. 

In the 1960s I used to be sent for short stays at their house during vacations and the affectionate way she took care of me is unforgettable.  She used to have the discipline that was befitting of a police official's wife and the daughter of a great disciplinarian, my beloved grandfather. There are some sweet little memories of that small rented outhouse they lived at a place close to 'Tata Silk Farm' and Nagasandra Circle, but they may come up in another post.  

Aside from all those happy memories, I still cherish her two little gifts.  One is a key-chain and the other is a little Webster Dictionary.


Tell me what is in?


You are right, that's The Little Webster!


For the first time, I measured its dimensions.  It is a mere 1.9 x 1.3 x 0.6 inches and contains 640 pages. 


She signs as 'atthae' means aunt.  


 I used to consult it in the 70s as I had kept handy in my desk draw.  It sufficed then.


Yesterday, I decided it deserved a nice cover. So I cut out a card and made a tiny box.


There you are, box is ready. 


The little book fits in perfectly. 


This will be kept in my 'shoe box'. This shoe box thing I read about in some newspaper article and realized I needed to start one.  I still wonder why it is a shoe box and not other boxes!  But presently, my shoe box is a vintage K.R.Mills 'banian box' [vest box]. Here it is:


Now the second item which I had already kept in the shoe box.  It is a key ring with a plastic design. 


 I clearly remember this was made for me at Mysore's famous Dasara Exhibition, in 1969 or 70.  I think the little Webster too was bought in some book stall there.  Embossing any name on plastic using heat was new then.  It was such at thrill at that time to have our names printed!  They are in golden letters and so are the memories of this lovable aunt who did not live beyond 1971. 

No comments: